I think caramel and apples are one of the best possible combinations. When I was younger my mom sometimes packed that Margetti caramel apple dip and some sliced apples in my lunch. As an adult I don’t really allow myself to buy things like that for fear that I will just sit on the couch and eat it with a spoon. I don’t have a lot of will power.
But these caramel apple cupcakes are a perfect compromise! I planned on making them for the May beer dinner since the theme was iPAlooza and apple pie and IPA is supposed to be a good combination. Since I had served apple pie in the fall, I wanted something different. (I also tried these Apple Tartlets which were good!) The cupcakes ended up being suppppppper moist and the caramel flavored frosting amazing!
Shockingly, this is one recipe of mine that doesn’t start with creaming together the butter and sugar! Start by mixing together the sugars, vanilla, and eggs. Then, add some vegetable oil.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Slowly combine the two, along with the milk.
Then, add in the applesauce. I liked that this recipe used applesauce instead of apples – it was quicker and easier, plus I think the applesauce contributed to the high moisture content!
Finally, distribute the mix into muffin tins and bake!
For the frosting, I basically eyeballed it. I think I used two sticks of butter and about 3.5 cups of powdered sugar. Then, instead of adding milk, I added about half a jar of Trader Joe’s salted caramel sauce (adding the milk, too, threw off the consistency of the frosting). Top the cupcakes with frosting and enjoy!
Caramel Apple Cupcakes (original recipe found at Kawaii Gourmet)
Everything you’ll needed
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups applesauce
- Your favorite frosting made with salted caramel!
- Mix together the granulated sugar (1 c), brown sugar (1/2 c), vanilla (2 tsp), and eggs (4).
- Add the vegetable oil (1 cup) until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour (3 c), baking powder (4 tsp), salt (1 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp), and nutmeg (1/2 tsp).
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar/egg mixture, alternating with the milk (1/4 cup).
- Finally, fold in the applesauce (2 cups), being sure to not over mix.
- Fill cupcake tins about 1/3 way full and bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then top with caramel buttercream frosting.